Flexion Distraction is a chiropractic technique used to treat many conditions of the lumbar spine. It is a non-surgical technique aimed at increasing spinal motion and resolving disc bulges and disc herniations. The treatment is excellent as a safe, gentle, non-force procedure and works well to take pressure off the spinal nerves that may be injured or dysfunctional.
- Reduce pressure on the spinal nerves from a disc bulge or herniation
- Increase spinal motion within the disc and spinal joints
- A conservative option to surgery for herniated discs
- Reducing symptoms of sciatica
HOW IS FLEXION DISTRACTION PERFORMED?
Flexion Distraction involves using a special table that distracts and flexes the spine in an automated and gentle rythmic motion. The Chiropractic Doctor will use some manual techniques with the table to resolve the disc herniation or bulge. The goal is to allow the spine to move correctly in a manner that will remove pressure from the disc bulge. It does this by creating a negative pressure that pulls the disc bulge back into the spine. The flexion distraction motion also maintains healthy discs through imbibition. The motion allows nutrients into the spinal disc and keeps them well articulated.
CONDITIONS THAT MAY BENEFIT FROM FLEXION DISTRACTION THERAPY
- Lumbar disc injuries (ruptured, bulging or herniated “slipped disc”)
- Low back pain
- Leg pain/Sciatica
- General lower back stiffness
- Sacroiliac syndrome
- Spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal)
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Failed back surgical syndrome